Thursday, January 24, 2013

Omegas and other supplements - revisited!

"The Difficult is that which can be done immediately;
The Impossible is that which takes a little longer."
-George Santayana


Today's WOD:
Day 23 of the 90-day Paleo Challenge!
42 days till the 2013 CrossFit Games Open!
A. Deadlift x 3 reps
* Set 1 – 50% of possible 3-RM x 5 reps
* Set 2 – 75% of possible 3-RM x 3 reps
* Set 3 – 85% of possible 3-RM x 2 reps
* Set 4 – 90-95% of possible 3-RM x 1 rep
* Set 5 – Test 3-RM
* Set 6 (optional) – Exceed Set 5 weight for 3-RM
Rest 3-minutes

B. Five sets of:
AMRAP in 2-minutes of:
5 Burpees over Barbell (lateral okay)
5 Hang Squat Cleans (155/105 lbs.)
Rest 2-minutes and continue where you ended in the previous set.


PM Elements Scheduling Change for today: 
Coach Josh will be leaving for a training camp in San Diego, and our assistant coach, Shay, was called into the field for training with the Army. I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused, but I am hoping you all can make it in on Friday, January 25th at 7:15pm for a make-up class with Coach Shay. If you can't, no problem, we'll have another make-up class if needed next week when Coach Josh gets back. Please feel free to email me, Coach E, at info@808crossfit.com with any questions or concerns.

Coach Elyse's supplements: I'm reposting this because I've had more than a few athletes ask me about fish oil and how much to take over the last couple of weeks. The best part is your box carries many of the products listed below: Omega-3, Magnesium (M3), Vitamin-D, and Progenex!
Alright, the moment you've all been waiting for - the day I spill all my supplemental secrets! Well, to be completely honest, there's nothing here that's outrageous (at least in my opinion). I'm not suggesting you follow the exact same protocol, but this does give you a baseline to work off of! I just recently purchased the book, "Practical Paleo," and the author of that book includes a very very helpful packet about supplementation for different needs. When I matched my supplements up with her list, I was pretty close to the "athletic performance" supplementation. Alright, here goes:

Pure Pharma Omega-3: I take anywhere from 9-12 capsules a day. Yes, you heard me right: 9-12 capsules!! At the very least, I take 3 a meal (and eat 3 meals a day). This is my favorite supplement by far. I am a big believer in Omega-3 and a good brand of Omega-3 for that matter.

Pure Pharma Vitamin D: I take this once a day before bed, most times 2 capsules.

Glucosamine: I take 2 (as suggested on the label). I use the cheaper Kirkland (Costco) Brand, extra strength with MSM. "Lubes my joints." Otherwise, my knees crack like an old attic floor.

Pure Pharma Magnesium: I take 3 capsules (as suggested on the label) right before bed. Magnesium is essential for normal muscle function and plays a central role in the conversion of carbohydrates into energy, but is at the same time expelled from muscles during exercise (from Pure Pharma's website). My true test of this product came when I ran out and went a month without it. I had nights where I'd wake up cramping, which never seems to happen as long as I get my magnesium. I tried natural calm, but I'm not at all a fan of the taste.

Vitamin E: I take one capsule of the Kirkland Brand daily.

Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs): I drink this pre-workout as well as during a workout, especially strength workouts! There are a variety of claims associated with BCAAs including increased lean muscle mass, improved recovery time, and increased strength. I use the brand Modern (made by USP Labs). This product is sold at GNC. Calvin Sun, coach at CrossFit Invictus, breaksdown the whole BCAA debate in an awesome write-up: http://www.crossfitinvictus.com/coaches/should-you-be-taking-branched-chain-amino-acids/.

Progenex Recovery: This is my go to post-workout protein shake! The days I forget to drink it, I pay for the following day. I love Progenex because it tastes great, is low in sugar, and is made with very high quality protein. I feel recharged and ready to go the following day, and in my line of competition that is important!

Coffee: I drink about 8-12 ounces of coffee everyday. I know, I need to lose this addiction, but I love the taste of coffee and the zap of caffeine in the morning.

Yesterday's WOD Board:

No comments:

Post a Comment