Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment, full effort is full victory."
-Gandhi



Today's WOD:
Single-Arm DB or KB Press
L-sit Tuck to Extension


15-12-9 rep rounds for time, of:
Power Cleans (185/125 lbs.)
Handstand Push-ups

Monday, May 28th - Memorial Day Holiday Schedule: 9:00, 10:00, and 11:00am.



The next Elements Program will begin on Tuesday, May 29th! 
For any NEW or interested athletes, successful completion of the Elements program is required in order to participate in our regular CrossFit classes. The cost of the 4 week program is $155. Elements classes occur on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at either 7:30am (with Coach Joe) or 7:00pm (with Coach Josh). Attendance at all classes is required to pass. If any session is missed, a private make-up session for $50 must be scheduled with your coach. The Elements program re-cycles every 5 to 6 weeks (the next one starts on Tuesday, May 29th, 2012). Space is limited to only 8-10 athletes per each class time, so don't wait to sign-up. Please reserve your spot in the next Elements Program by emailing us at info@808crossfit.com and put in the subject line: AM or PM (choose one) ELEMENTS ATHLETE.



"Bittersweet" by Coach Elyse
Recently, I've been asked a few times, "How are you feeling?" or "How you doing?" In response, I've thrown out this word a few times to sum up my thoughts and feelings of Regionals: bittersweet. More than anything, I wish I could say that coming in 5th is what I wanted, but that is just not the case. I went to Regionals wanting a top three spot and a return trip to the CrossFit Games badly. Maybe that's why it hurt so much more when everything was done and I came up short?

Every year the workouts in the Open, Regionals, and the Games are completely different from the previous. The fact that I took first in the NorCal Regional last year had no bearing on where I'd finish this year. Moreover, the CrossFit Games Open didn't have much bearing on Regionals. This year at Regionals, there was one big challenge for me: it was a "heavy" Regional and let's face it, I am a "small" girl. Not to mention the NorCal Regional is always filled with top notch CrossFitters, and has the most experienced CrossFitters from top to bottom than any other Regional. I knew it was going to be tough for me to finish on the podium, but I was looking forward to the challenge. Over the course of the weekend, I battled each of the six workouts and gave it everything I had. I even PR'd my "Diane" time by 19 seconds. But in the end, my performances were just not good enough to grab a spot in the top three. So, for the first time in the four years of competing at CrossFit Games Regionals, I did not qualify for the Games. As awesome friends and family members came up to me after the final workout and congratulated me on a job well done, tear of disappointment filled my eyes behind my sunglasses. I was devastated. But just when I want to be sad and wallow there for a little bit, there was this whole other side to my weekend that put a smile on my face. 

As a coach, your goal is to try and push your athletes to their limit so they reach their full potential. At least that's what I have done in the past as both a basketball coach. When I studied each of the 8 athletes that made our Regional team, I saw each of their potential, I learned each of their weaknesses, and at some point I pushed each of them to their limit. To say the least, I could not be more proud of the team and their amazing performance at the NorCal Regional.

While the weekend I had in mind for myself did not play out the way I had hoped, for the team it went exactly the way we planned. They each did everything I had asked of them and more, grabbing team PRs on a few of the workouts as well as personal PRs on the Snatch Ladder! If I had to sum up the team's performance this past weekend, I would say their 1st place finish was what occurs when preparation meets opportunity. So, yes, in the end I may have come up short at Regionals, but watching my athletes come together and finish on top the podium as the number 1 team in the NorCal Regional fires me up. Get ready world, CrossFit 808 is about to take the team competition by storm!

Yesterday's WOD Board:


2 comments:

  1. Hey Elyse,

    Chin up girl! You inspire me daily... and I know that CrossFit at the 808 has changed my world. 5th at Regional is awesome, and makes me proud to say "Yes, she's my coach!"

    Also - Congrats and great job to our Team...way to show everyone how it's done!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach Elyse,
    Your words from the heart are inspirational and makes me want to challenge myself more. On behalf of the Kinzies we are eternally grateful for your generosity as a our coach and friend.
    Mahalo Nui Loa,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete