Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Paleo Korean-style Short Ribs!

“We can never get a re-creation of community and heal our society without giving our citizens a sense of belonging.”
-Hunter Campbell "Patch" Adams


Above: I was craving some Korean BBQ, but without all the sugar and MSG! So, I decided to go hunting for a good Paleo Kalbi recipe! I found a good base from Fast Paleo and made my own little tweaks to it. The result: DELICIOUS! A must do if you love Korean BBQ!
Today's WOD:
A. 5 sets of:
Power Clean + Push Jerk

B. 3 sets of:
Push Press x 3 reps

C. For time:
30 Overhead Squats (135/95 lbs.)
30 Regional Style Box Jumps (24/20")
30 Wall Balls (20/14 lbs. to 10 ft.)
30 KB Swings (70/53 lbs.)

Coach E's twist on Fast Paleo's Korean-style Short Ribs:
Ingredients:
4-6 lbs. of short ribs (I used the regular Costco short ribs, they are thicker and no bones)
1 fuji apple grated
1/2 of a kiwi grated (optional but highly recommended by Kyla)
2 teaspoons grated ginger (about 1-inch piece)
6 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
3 large green onions, cut into small pieces
6 Tablespoons wheat-free tamari or coconut aminos
1 cup club soda
juice of 1 lime
4 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons sesame oil
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Directions:
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Note: I did not use kiwi in the above recipe, but I hear from Kyla that kiwis help tenderize the meat as well as add some awesome flavor to your short ribs. I will definitely try using half a kiwi grated next time. If you do use the kiwi, let me know how your ribs taste!
  2. Place your short ribs in a container or ziplock and marinate them overnight. Ziplock bags tend to work best, I like to shake the bag every now and then to make sure all the meat is in the marinade.
  3. Since I used the thicker cut short ribs, I heated my grill to medium heat and grilled them for about twelve minutes (six minutes on each side). If you're not a pro at grilling, then just keep an eye on them and make sure you cook them to about medium-well (just a hint of pink on the inside).
  4. Before serving your short ribs, throw some sesame seeds and fresh green onions on top. Enjoy!




Yesterday's WOD Board:

No comments:

Post a Comment