Tuesday, November 6, 2012

K-star in the house!

"Outstanding leaders go out of their way to boost the self-esteem of their personnel. If people believe in themselves, it's amazing what they can accomplish."
-Sam Walton


Above: Kelly Starrett, the genius behind Mobility WOD and the Movement & Mobility Trainer Course, was at the box on Saturday sharing his knowledge with us. I have been a huge fan of K-star for the past 2-years and have learned so much from his videos on MWOD. This weekend only broadened my knowledge of movement and mobility. I cannot wait to share all that we learned with you! For the month of November, we'll have Mobility Mondays and focus on different mobility drills at the start of the class. Thank you for an awesome course K-star!

Today's WOD:
A. Four sets of: 
Front Squat x 5 reps @ 75-80% of 1-RM
Rest 2 minutes between sets.

B. Eight sets of:
Clean x 2 reps
Rest 2-3 minutes

C. Three sets of:
Clean Pulls x 5 reps @ 100-105%
Rest 60 seconds

GOOD LUCK this weekend Kehau!

Kehau Richardson will be competing at the Powerlifting World Championships (IPL) in Las Vegas this weekend. We will all be routing for her as she crushes the competition. Kehau: Good luck up there! Have fun, give it your all, and remember we could not be more proud of you. Put all that hardwork into that barbell this weekend and show them that chicks from Hawaii are strong. 

Kehau has some words to share with her 808 ohana:
"I just wanted to express my gratitude for 808. Being a part of 808 has really changed my life for the better. Not only has it changed my view of health, diet, and exercise, it has given me a place that I can feel at home. The people are what make a place home. Walking into the box brightens any cloudy day.

Coach E is such an inspiration! It is really awesome to have a great role model and to have someone you can strive to be like. Someone relatable and down to earth, generous, always looking at the best of someone’s abilities, and believing in people when they don’t believe in themselves. Coach E sees the greatness in you and helps you to maximize your potential. I remember a 6am class (Aug 2011) where I was the only athlete that showed up. Just me and coach E…boy did the fear set in real quick! But she saw something in me that I didn’t see and didn’t believe was possible. My previous deadlift at the time was 95# and she wanted me to lift 185#. What?! She believed in me when I didn’t believe in myself. That WOD is embedded in my memory.

Having coaches that inspire you, encourage you, and believe in you are elements that are needed to help get you to be the person that you never thought could be possible. All the coaches are awesome! Thank you to Coach Josh and Coach Joe for encouraging me to pursue my strength abilities. They are always willing to give their support and advice on how to be better. They just love what they do. Coach John is just plain awesomeness! He is the glue, heart, and soul behind the Tuesday & Thursday 6am class. 6 am-ers rock! We may walk in looking like a bunch of zombies but Coach John is there making sure we put in work, efficient work, and at the same time making sure we feel like family.

There are no words that can be said about how much I love the feeling of WODing next to amazing athletes. Whether it is a morning WOD or afternoon WOD, you all are such amazing people. It’s a great feeling when you walk into a room knowing you are around people who have a common goal, a focus, motivation, heart, zeal, and passion. Even on the worst of days…we still show up.

Discovering the sport of power lifting is definitely something I never thought I would be doing. Power lifting is personal. It’s just you and the bar, no one else. It’s a mind game. I never had experienced how much I can be my worst enemy. Needing to overcome myself first before I can overcome the bar is a challenge. I thought that if you put weight on a bar, give me a number, I’ll move it. But as soon as my mind starts playing tricks on me, the weight that I have been moving for months seem like a ton! The battle field of the mind is intense. Having the opportunity to maximize my potential at a World Championship level is mind boggling! I wanted to just express how grateful I am to you all and that I appreciate where my roots where planted and still continue to grow. Thank you 808! Vegas here I come! Chheeeehhooooo!"

Yesterday's WOD Board:

No comments:

Post a Comment