Tuesday, March 1, 2011

ATHLETE PROFILE: Rome Stein

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

What better way to kickoff Women's Health Month then with an CrossFit 808 athlete profile from a very inspirational female athlete and mother of two, Rome Stein.  The Athlete Profiles you will see posted on our blog is to help other CF808 Athletes learn more about each other as well as share their inspirational stories of how CrossFit has changed their life for the better.  

"Rome Stein has been with CrossFit 808 since the beginning and she has been CrossFitting for a year.  She is the perfect example of someone who loves life and everything it throws at her.  My mom likes to describe Rome in one word:  determined.  I'd have to agree, Rome's fire and positive attitude can light up a room.  First taking on CrossFit at the age of 42, Rome has definitely earned her fitness and CrossFit 808 cannot wait to see her compete in the Master's Division in a couple of years.  Read her profile below and be inspired!" -Coach Elyse

Skills WOD:
2 Rounds:
10 Back Extensions
10 Hip Extensions
10 GHD Situps

Today's WOD:
21-15-9 rep rounds for time, of:
95/65 lbs. Sumo Deadlift High Pulls (SDLHP)
95/65 lbs. Overhead Squats (OHS)

Above: Rome before CrossFit changed her life for the better.

Above: Rome has lost 30 lbs. since CrossFitting in March of 2010!  Rome brings FIRE, determination, and a positive attitude to workouts and life.  This 43 year-old is definitely an inspiration to all those around her.


ATHLETE PROFILE: Rome Stein 
Age: 43
Hometown: Honolulu, Hawaii (Hawaii Kai)
When did you first start CrossFitting? March 2010
Favorite WOD: Murph!  :))
Least Favorite WOD:  Karen... need so much practice on the wall balls!
Favorite quote/saying: "Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air."-Ralph Waldo Emerson

What is your sports & fitness background?   
In my 30's, outrigger-paddled for about 10 years with a number of Molokai crossings, and a few years of singles tennis.  In my 20's, endurance running (competed in elite 5K and 10K run series).

How did you find CrossFit? What was your first WOD like and how did it feel?
I gained a lot of weight with my two pregnancies -- I was placed on bed-rest for both pregnancies.  A couple years after my second child, in a routine visit with my doctor, my blood pressure checked-in at an alarming high reading.  She recommended that I drop 30lbs and find an activity for stress release - quick!  Working full-time, I needed an activity that could be done within an hour's time.  I tried a lot of activities to drop the weight and relieve the stress (tennis, running, hot yoga, meditation, to name a few), and just couldn't find the right activity and couldn't reach the intensity in my workouts needed to help me make the necessary changes.  I also tried "dieting".  That didn't work either.  A friend suggested I check-out CrossFit - I was told it's intense and it could be done in less than an hour.  So I did. I visited a CrossFit gym and hit a WOD.  I was hooked even before the WOD was over!

What changes have you seen in your body, health and fitness since starting CrossFit? 
Over an 8 month period I dropped from a size 12 to a size 4.  I was sleeping better, had A LOT more energy, and became more productive at work!  Plus I could play longer and harder with my kids!!  Almost a year later I have now dropped 30lbs!  I am now back to my pre-pregancy weight.

What changes (big or small) have you experienced since CrossFitting that were totally unexpected? 
For me, CrossFit along with eating "paleo" (the nutrition side of CrossFit) has changed my life and my family's lives for the better!  We eat healthy foods -- veggies, fruits, nuts, meats -- including red meat! (Which my doctor told me I had to cut from my diet.)  Three months after starting CrossFit I visited my doctor for a follow-up... my blood pressure checked normal, and my blood work was perfect! She said whatever I was doing, keep doing it!!!  My 6 year old son LOVES CrossFit too!  He is so enthusiastic about it, he would do it seven days a week if he could.

What is your favorite CrossFit / CrossFit 808 moment(s)?
Every CrossFit moment has been a favorite! Our CrossFit 808 community is supportive, encouraging, and motivating... AND I've made great friends!  I've always had this crazy overly ambitious drive to go hard, play hard, like ALL the time!  In our CrossFit community I have crossed paths with others who want to play just as hard, or even harder!  I LOVE IT!  With guidance from our incredibly talented and gifted coaches/trainers, we work together to hit the WODs hard, we keep each other going especially at those times when you feel like stopping, and we celebrate each other's accomplishments!  The encouragement to go harder, to be stronger is sincere and genuine.

Any advice/tips for people who are new to CrossFit? 
Have fun!  Remember everything is modifiable!  I came to CrossFit scared of doing inversions - I wouldn't even do it in yoga!  and now, after working through the varying modifications, handstand push-ups are one of my favorite elements!  I still need to practice them A LOT!  But I'm not afraid of them anymore...

When you're not CrossFitting, what do you like to do? 
For work, I'm involved in an effort to help prevent childhood obesity in Hawaii.  Outside of work and CrossFit - I WOD, play, eat, REPEAT!   :)))  For fun, I love to play hard!  I pretty much LOVE doing anything in the great outdoors - ocean and mountain! Elevation trail runs and hiking, love anything on the ocean with a solo-craft, mountain bike riding, tennis and golf. I'm a total foodie! Once a week or so I'll truly enjoy my favorite foods (and drinks)! and I LOVE family time!

Yesterday's WOD board:

3 comments:

  1. Rome has always been an inspiration to me. She is forever the humble elite athlete outside of WODs. Very soft spoken and kind and highly positive. When it's go time the restraints are off. She pushes through her limits with a graceful aggression that only she can pull off.
    Plus I mean how can she not be awesome? Her favorite WOD is Murph. It doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Rome was contemplating joining the Supergirls workouts back at HAF, she was a little hesitant and scared...but I told her that her spirit, energy and drive to want to be better was so infectious, that the girls will love her! I loved working out with Rome because she pushed me all the time, and made it fun for all of us. She has worked so hard to get to where she's at now, and I am so proud of her. A great wife, mother and friend. Love you buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great athlete profile!!!
    Rome you are truly an inspiration to me. There are so many excuses I want to make, but you just being such a go getter, shuts me up and makes me have to suck it up.
    I love you Rome u da best!

    ReplyDelete