Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Athlete Profile: Hoku Kinzie

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him."
-David Brinkley




"Before we officially opened in February, Hoku, did his first workout alongside his older brother and experienced CrossFitter, Mike, and was on the ground only 2-rounds into a 7-round WOD.  The thought crossed my mind that he wouldn't get back up to finish the workout, but I was wrong.  Hoku got up and finished the workout.  I knew at that point he would be back!  

Hoku's passion for perfection in his movements has been valuable in his first few months at the box.    He has been consistently improving with the completion of each new WOD.  As a coach, I am so proud of how hard Hoku works and how he works to get it right.  I truly admire his positive attitude and determination.  I'm glad he has joined our family and can't wait to see his progress over the next few months/years." -Coach Elyse

ATHLETE PROFILE: Hoku Kinzie
Age: 24
Hometown: Kaneohe
When did you first start CrossFitting? February 2011
Favorite WOD: Im still so new to CrossFit that I haven't done that many WODs; but if I had to pick my favorite one so far I'd say it was a WOD that had us doing a 500m row, 21 burpees, and a 400m run (3 RFT).
Least favorite WOD: Anything with deadlifts!!!!! My form is terrible and I always wake up the next day with a sore back (in a hurts so good way). Lol.
Favorite quote: "Rock n' roll don't come from your brain. It comes from your crotch." -Freaks and Geeks

What is your sports & fitness background? 
Prior to CrossFit I didn't really do much athletically. A little bit of weight lifting, inconsistent running, and some hiking.

How did you find CrossFit? What was your first WOD like and how did it feel? 
My older brother Mike had been doing CrossFit for about a year and he had told me about it a few times but it kind of went over my head. After watching some videos on youtube and with some self-motivation I made it to the still in progress CrossFit 808 gym for my first WOD. If I remember correctly my first WOD involved kettle bells, push presses, box jumps, and a very light headed and slightly nauseated me. During the WOD I felt like I wanted to die, but when it was all said and done the endorphins and high were so strong that I immediately knew I was hooked.

What changes have you seen in your body, health and fitness since starting CrossFit?
The biggest changes I've seen physically have to be my increased stamina and flexibility. I'm also a little over two weeks into eating paleo and I'm feeling leaner and I have a lot more energy throughout the day.

What changes (big or small) have you experienced since CrossFitting that were totally unexpected? 
The biggest and most unexpected change I've experienced since starting CrossFit is my daily desire to workout and challenge myself.

What is your favorite CrossFit / CrossFit 808 moment(s)? 
After doing crossfit for just one week I did the Great Aloha Run with a big group from the gym and the direct effect it had on my results and recovery were amazing, and it served as just another reason to keep CrossFitting. Every moment so far has been great. Coming to the gym, doing the WODs, picking brains about everything from technique to paleo, it's all been a blast.

Any advice/tips for people who are new to CrossFit?
The best advice I have for someone who's interested in doing CrossFit or starting for the first time is to just go for it with an open mind. No matter how difficult it seems, just don't give up, and the best way to do this is to go at your own pace. Baby steps! :) 

Also, take full advantage of the deep wealth of knowledge available from all of the coaches and the other CrossFitters. Once people start getting comfortable they should use the competitive nature of CrossFit to motivate themselves to raise their level of performance, and to exceed their predetermined and self imposed physical and mental limitations.

When you're not CrossFitting, what do you like to do? 
On my free time I like to mess around in the kitchen and try cooking new recipes. I also like to travel but I haven't had the time to go anywhere for a while. :( I also like  bodyboarding, hiking, live music, film festivals, and getting schooled in basketball.

Today's WOD:
For time: 
70 Burpees
60 Sit-ups 
50 Kettlebell swings (2/1.5 pood)
40 Pull-ups
30 Handstand push-ups



Yesterday's WOD board:

No comments:

Post a Comment