Friday, May 13, 2011

Brutal: 10% Physical, 90% Mental

"Love the moment, and the energy of that moment will spread beyond all boundaries." 
-Corita Kent

Above: Tracy grabbing some air in her Bar-facing Burpees!

Today's WOD:
Thrusters 3-3-3


5 rounds for time:
15 Thrusters
15 Bar-facing Burpees

Today’s WOD was hard… no scratch that… IT WAS BRUTAL!  For one, 5 rounds of anything is just asking for trouble.  Secondly, Thrusters should be on the bottom of a list of things to be coupled with Burpees.  Lastly, 15 reps is not an easy feat--I mean 10 reps… no problem, but 15? Hard to get that unbroken!

We can all agree that CrossFit workouts are hard and leave us on the floor gasping for air making sweat angels when its all over.  Sometimes you will come across a WOD that challenges you physically and tears you apart mentally. But guess what? With that type of workout, like today's WOD, there comes a voice--a voice from your coach, voices from your fellow box mates, and a voice from within.  All these voices are telling you that you are here and you are going to finish!


Taking a quote from CrossFit founder and CEO, Greg Glassman, “The greatest adaptation of CrossFit takes place between the ears.”  CrossFit is not just physical, but mental!  Below, I feature a list of motivational thoughts that one of our athletes, Zach, had posted on his Facebook! I believe this post originated from another CrossFit box, but I can't remember where I've seen it before.  


I hope these words of wisdom provide motivation between your ears!

-Coach Josh


P.S. - Knowing how bad the workout was to me, I noticed a feeling that overcame me today. It may happen all the time, but I think this is the first time I’ve noticed it and analyzed it. Today, I noticed it happened when I looked into your faces as you got ready for the countdown to start the WOD. It was a feeling of empathy (not sympathy)--part respect, part admiration, and commendation for your braveness. My well wishes are always out there for all of you in and out of the box, but especially at 3, 2, 1... GO!

DAILY MOTIVATION: 
1. I will promise to do my best. My best will vary from day to day. From hour to hour. From minute to minute. But in that minute, I will do the very best I can.
2. Lactic acid is my friend. Wind is my friend. Anything that opposes me is actually helping me to become stronger. If I had no opposition, I would be weak.
3. If I can run, I run. If I have to walk, I walk. When I am forced to crawl, I crawl. And then I will rest and do it all again another day.
4. I fear no man, but I fear my workout. If I don’t fear my workout, it isn’t hard enough.
5. I may puke. I may cry. But I will not quit. Ever.
6. I never cheat. There is no honor in cheating. What joy can there be in a victory I did not earn?
7. The workout missed is the opportunity missed. I will not cheat myself out of an opportunity to become a better athlete or person.
8. I will give everything I have and then I will find more.
9. I don’t complain. Complaining is for crybabies. There are 11,232 babies born in the US every day. I will leave the crying to them and soldier on.
10. I will face challenges, spit out results and beg for more. What will you do?

Yesterday's WOD Board:

No comments:

Post a Comment