Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Transformations: Jeffrey King

“As you think, so shall you become.”
-Bruce Lee



Above: I am so proud of Jeff! He is not only a stand up guy, but he works hard and always helps others out.  His mental toughness and work ethic is what makes him a successful CrossFitter. Oh, and his strong back squats! I was reminiscing with Shanelle earlier today about how far the Kings have come.  The first day that Jeff and Jamie came to WOD with us, we had a pretty tough workout. But, they both did their best and plowed through it. There was a moment in the workout where Jeff was sitting on one of the boxes, zoning out, so I thought he had finished the WOD and asked if he was done. He immediately responded with, "No, I was just taking a break" and stood up to finish the WOD. I probably won't ever let him live that moment down. :)

Today's WOD:
Strength:
Deadlifts 3-3-3-3-3


Met-con:
4 rounds for time:
50m Walking Lunges
50 Sit-ups

Transformations: How has CrossFit 808 changed your life?


Above: Jeff back before he Paleo-ed!
I initially dabbled in Crossfit back in 2010 while I was stationed back on the mainland. Due to various reasons and "not wanting to drink this kool-aid everyone talked about" I moved into heavy lifting and shied away Crossfit. 

My wife and I moved to Hawaii in April 2011 with one goal in mind, to find a good gym. I have always thought of myself as being "in shape" and was in for a rude awakening that first day. Jamie and I attended a class at 808 and that was reality check that we so desperately needed. We were not only out of shape but in need of some serious changes in our health and fitness. To this day Coach Elyse and Coach Kyla laugh at the fact that for my first WOD they both though I was finished. I was just sitting down, gassed, wondering how I was going to finish seeing as the end was nowhere in sight that day. Since that first WOD Jamie and I have been hooked on Crossfit 808 for not only the workouts, competitiveness and coaching but most importantly, the family. We have been blessed with so many great people surrounding us at the box and welcoming us with open arms. We have continued to improve daily in everything from lifting to diet solely because of our great coaches and friends. Another reason I am thankful that I am part of the 808 family is because I was given the opportunity to represent the box in competition. I am proud and honored that someone saw the potential in me to put me in that position. Thank you for giving me that chance and I can only hope that I made everyone proud.

Jeff after Paleo!
Last but certainly not least, my wife and I are so lucky to have this place, these people and this atmosphere every day. I smile at the fact when she and I can attend Olympic lifting classes together; I get to tape her hands before a WOD, watch her "PR" at almost everything and cheer her on when WOD's are getting the best of everyone. I appreciate that we have found this lifestyle and enjoy it together. Let's face it, she is my best half and I would not be in the shape or state of mind that I am in without her or Crossfit 808. Thank you to everyone for making such a positive impact in such a short amount of time. 

Yesterday's WOD Board:

No comments:

Post a Comment