Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Athlete Profile: Katrina "KaNinja" Perry

"If you deliberately plan on being less than you are capable of being, then I warn you that you'll be unhappy for the rest of your life." 
-Abraham H. Maslow

Above:  (Left) Katrina at her sister's wedding in 2005, before she found CrossFit. (Right) Katrina modeling our CrossFit 808 tank top, after a year of CrossFit she has lost over 20 pounds.

"Katrina Perry is one of my long-time friends and I am excited to feature her story/athlete profile.  Among her many talents, including hula, Katrina is an awesome CrossFitter and really focuses on getting her technique right in all her movements.  I am so proud of everything she has accomplished in only a year of CrossFit--not only has she lost 20 pounds, but she has also motivated her family members to improve their fitness and nutrition.  In fact, both of her older sisters, Crystal and Caroline aka "Diva", are now members at our box and doing great!

Don't let her long lashes and pretty face fool you!  This chick is one tough cookie!  Katrina is the perfect example of STRONG and BEAUTIFUL. She is tough, hardworking, determined, and has a big heart.  I can't wait to see her grab more PRs as the WODs roll by!  Read her story and be inspired to be better at life."  -Coach Elyse

ATHLETE PROFILE: Katrina "KaNinja" Perry 
Hometown: Honolulu, Hawaii
Age: 24
When did you first start CrossFitting?: April 2010
Favorite WOD: "Christina" (WOD by Crossfit Las Vegas) AMRAP in 20 minutes, of: 9 Pull-ups, 9 Cleans, 9 KB swings, 9 Toes to Bar, 9 Push Press, 9 Burpees
Least Favorite WOD: 5 rounds for time: 400m run, 25 Burpees (jump and touch 1' above max reach)
I almost passed out and couldn’t complete the WOD!
Do you Paleo?: Majority of my meals are Paleo
Favorite Quote: "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better."

Tell us about you sports & fitness background: 
I’ve been Polynesian dancing since the age of 3. I played basketball and volleyball for a season in high school and unfortunately I wasn’t very good at either so I just stuck with dancing. For exercise I would jog on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

How did you first get exposed to CrossFit? Take us back to your first WOD... what was it, and how did it feel? 
My brother-in-law, Dan, suggested CrossFit. He heard about it from one of his triathlon friends who was a CrossFit coach. My first WOD was “Cindy does a Gauntlet”:  Pulls ups, push-ups, squats, deadlifts, hang power cleans, tuck jumps.  Max rep for 30 seconds at each station (5 rounds, with a 1 minute rest between rounds).  I did 3 rounds of it. Everything was modified for me except for the air squats and tuck jumps. I felt fine until the drive home when I started feeling nauseous. I had to pull over to a gas station and get a bottle of water. I continued going 4-5 times a week and I was extremely sore for that first month. 

What sort of changes have you seen in your body, health and fitness since starting CrossFit (before/after)? 
My senior year in high school I went on a really unhealthy diet and lost a lot of weight. When I went away to college in California I gained the weight I had lost plus 10 lbs! It was embarrassing! After starting crossfit and eating paleo-ish I’ve seen huge changes in my body, especially in my face and waist. Nothing has ever worked for me before until I started CrossFiting and eating paleo-ish! I’m so happy with the way I look and I love how strong I’ve gotten.  

What sort of changes in your life have you experienced out of taking on something like CrossFit that were totally unexpected? 
I didn’t expect to love working out! I will practice things at home like double-unders, or do WODs on my own if I can’t make it to the gym because I want to be better. Another thing that was unexpected was all the friendships I’ve made at the gym. It’s a whole different atmosphere than working out at  a gym by yourself. Everyone is so encouraging and inspirational. 

Please share with us any favorite CrossFit / CF808 moments: 
My favorite CrossFit 808 moment was yesterday. I was doing a WOD with pull-ups and felt exhausted. I wanted to stop, then I looked over to see coach John and coach Elyse doing weighted pull-ups! John had 110lbs tied to his waist and Elyse had a 45lb dumbbell between her feet! It was very humbling and instead of me wishing it was easier it made me want to be better ;).  
My favorite CrossFit moments were getting my first pull-up, getting my first pistol and being Over Head Squatted by John Bentley!

Any advice for people just getting started? 
YES! If you have a non-athletic background, I know exactly how you feel! It may seem a little confusing at first but if you don’t understand a certain movement ask your coach to go over it with you before or after the WOD. It will help you get better quicker! And practice your double unders!!

What are your hobbies, interests and/or talents outside of CrossFit? 
I still dance hula every now and then, paddle boarding, doing pistols at random places ;)

Today's WOD:
Overhead Squats 3-3-3-3-3
Barbell starts on the ground, no racks.

Then...
2 minutes max reps of Bar-Facing Burpees
2 minutes REST
2 minutes max reps of Bar-Facing Burpees

Yesterday's WOD Board:

No comments:

Post a Comment