Tuesday, December 13, 2011

CrossFit for Fitness!

‎"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Above: I love that my cousin is a CrossFitter! As much as I preach about the benefits of CrossFit to my family members, Kristi, is in fact, the only one who has consistently stuck with the program.  She has even visited boxes while away on business trips.  I am so proud of her and love that she is enjoying her experience. 

Today's WOD:
Strength:
Bench Press 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2
Rest 60 seconds between sets.


Met-con:
3 rounds for time:
500m Row
15 Hand Release Push-ups
25 KB Swings (70/53 lbs.)
*20-minute cap.

CrossFit for Fitness, not for the CrossFit Games:
I recently had an awesome talk with my cousin, Kristi, about how so many of our members are amazingly fit!  While this maybe true, I also pointed out that majority of our members aren't CrossFit competitors and are only CrossFitting for fitness.  In fact, this is true for most of the world... and that's okay.  CrossFit is about making you better at life through fitness.  If CrossFit improves your mobility and strength, you can bet you will be able to do much more in life.  So, while many of the critics (who probably never lifted a barbell in their life) say that CrossFit is too extreme.  I'd say CrossFit is perfect for anyone who wants to be fitter and move better in life.  Will you deadlift 200 lbs. tomorrow at work? Most likely, no.  But, next week you might have to move a heavy box or pick up your injured child who weighs 50 lbs., and because of CrossFit you won't throw your back out because you know how to lift something properly.

This talk brings me to another point that is worth mentioning: time caps on WODs.  Despite what you might think, I do not cap workouts to make you feel inadequate or because I enjoy writing DNF on the board.  We cap workouts, so that athletes in our box understand how a certain WOD should move and feel.  In other words, I don't want someone doing an RX "Fran" if it is taking them 20 minutes to complete.  Maybe this is okay in other gyms, which is completely fine and up to that coach, but in our gym, we want "Fran" to feel like "Fran": sub 10 minutes!  Thus, in order to move faster, we might ask you to scale the load or throw a band in there for the pull-ups.  You should never be afraid or ashamed of scaling. And, you can rest assured that your beloved coaches will tell you if you are scaling the weight too much! So, don't worry about that part!

Yesterday's WOD Board:

2 comments:

  1. Yay Kristi! I have been very impressed with your progress!

    Awesome post Coach Elyse!!! This is a MUST-READ for all CrossFitters!!

    (Sidenote about the person behind the quote: Friedrich Nietzche was a german writer (1844-1900). Yes, he was an atheist... but he held that you shouldn't praise meekness and discourage living life to the fullest!)

    I GOT TWO MORE FINALS TO GO!!! WOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its awesome, I like your whole blog, its worth to read about. And a lot information about crossfit training..Crossfit training is very effective for gaining good strength and getting strong muscles..
    Cary Fitness Center

    ReplyDelete