Thursday, October 13, 2011

We're going to miss you, Ant!

"Listen to your heart. Even though it’s on the left side, it’s always right."
-Unknown

Above: The day has come and our boy, Anthony "Ant", is making his move to Santa Monica, CA. Ant has been an awesome box-mate, athlete, training partner, and friend. Not only did he endure crazy workouts with me, but he also took on my sled dragging at the beach as well as double WOD days.  I am so thankful Seth brought Ant to our box way back in February.  To be completely honest, when I first met Ant (picture on the left), I didn't think he'd come back. Boy did he make me eat my words! Not to mention he became my rabbit in WODs. Ant recently earned a raise with Rip Curl and will be the store manager of the 3rd Street Promenade Rip Curl store. He will also continue to CrossFit at my friend Dan's box, LAX CrossFit. I already told Dan that he has to take care of our boy! We're really going to miss you, Ant!

Today's WOD:
"Farewell Ant"
For time:
50 Wall Balls (20/14 lbs. to 10 ft.)
10 Muscle-ups
50 Wall Balls (20/14 lbs. to 10 ft.)
8 Muscle-ups
30 Wall Balls (20/14 lbs. to 10 ft.)
6 Muscle-ups
20 Wall Balls (20/14 lbs. to 10 ft.)
4 Muscle-ups
10 Wall Balls (20/14 lbs. to 10 ft.)
2 Muscle-ups

We love visiting CrossFitters!
Above: Carrie (front row, center) from Seattle dropped in last week for a WOD!
Above: Thy (left) and Robert (right) from CrossFit Cen Cal came by yesterday for a WOD!
Day 11 of the 50-day Paleo Challenge: Mexican Night with Jaimie Kinard!
Beef Fajitas with Guacamole & Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa... thank you Jaimie for posting these delicious Paleo recipes! I love fajita night and doing it Paleo style is so simple... just substitute the tortillas with GREEN LEAF lettuce.  I use green leaf, because it seems to work the best when doing fajitas or Paleo burgers.

Guacamole:
2 avocados
1/2 red onion
1 tomato
cilantro
lime
pepper
sea salt (if you need)

Mix mashed up avocado, 1/2 chopped onion, 1 chopped/seeded tomato, juice of 1/2 lime, handful of chopped cilantro, pepper (and salt, if you must) and let those flavors marry in your fridge while you cook everything else. Nothing is exact, it's all about how you want it to taste... for example, I LOVE cilantro so go overboard with it.

Mango Salsa:
1 ripe mango or small bag of frozen, organic mango chunks
1/2 cucumber
1/2 red onion
1 tomato
cilantro
lime
pepper
sea salt (if needed)

Mix together teeny chunks of mango, diced onions, diced/seeded tomato, diced seeded/peeled cucumber, chopped cilantro, pepper (and salt) and let it sit in the fridgey!

Beef Fajitas:
flank or skirt steak
lime
garlic
cilantro
2 bell peppers
1 onion
lettuce
tomato
pepper
sea salt (if you need or your non-paleo family needs)

In a gallon size ziploc, throw in the juice from one lime, 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic, a handful of chopped cilantro, and a dash of pepper (and salt if you want). Mix up & add in your beautiful steak. Marinate for a couple 2-3 hours.
Leaf 1/2 your lettuce to use as your normal tortilla. Slice your pepper lengthwise into 1/2' to 1' strips. Do the same to your onion. Chop tomato and 1/2 lettuce & leftover cilantro for fixin's. Set aside. Throw on the grill or cast iron skillet for about 2-3 minutes each side. Medium rare is what you're going for. While the beef is cooking, sautee your pepper/onion mix until they're tender. Once steak is pau, slice against the grain into thin slices. Set up the assembly line to make your lettuce wrap beef fajitas!

Fish Tacos:
cod, flounder, any firm white fish
cumin
pepper
sea salt (if you must... but try not to)

Season with cumin & pepper.. red pepper flakes if you want more of a kick. Throw in the oven for 10 minutes, til firm and serve in your lettuce "tortillas" with lettuce/tomato/cilantro/mango salsa fixin's... whatever you want except cheese and sour cream!

Yesterday's WOD Board:

4 comments:

  1. Does anybody notice that Ant only has one shoe on during his muscle up?
    I am going to miss you too Ant!
    Muscle Beach!

    COACH JOSH'S DAY 11 PALEO CHALLENGE

    Breakfast: Opah cooked with olive oil, green cabbage/spinach, some red bell pepper, some broccoli, 1/2 avocado, some walnuts, plum, fish oil

    Lunch: watermelon pieces, veal cutlet cooked with olive oil, spinach/green cabbage, 1 little sweet onion, more watermelon, 1 piece 100% dark chocolate, some broccoli, some almonds, fish oil

    PWO1: Veal piece, larabar (cashew cookie)
    PWO2: coconut water

    Pre-dinner: watermelon, 1/2 avocado
    Dinner: 2xNY steak orders(one dry, one pepper), 1x filet mignon order(dry), 1xzucchini order(dry), 1xeggplant order(dry), shared a spicy ahi avocado salad (dry), fish oil..... AND, AND, the equivalent(=) of the famous paleo-friendly NORCAL MARGARITA. "CHEERS ANT!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days I will try some recipes...
    The recipe from Jaimie is very enticing!!
    I'm part Spanish-mexican so I'm gonna need me some fajitas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's so hard to say goodbye..

    I have to admit, after that first WOD in February I was very close to saying goodbye to CrossFit.

    I have to thank everyone at the box. I've made a ton of new friends, rivals, but most importantly, i've gained a family. I love all of you and it sucks to leave so soon.

    Elyse, josh, john; you guys all changed my life. For the better, i suppose..... I now feel guilty everytime i have a slice of pizza.! But seriously, thank you. I am now the healithiest I have ever been.. Look out cause i'm coming for all of you! Haha.

    Everyone please, please.. Hit me up you're in LA. Keep killing it. I was so proud to be a part of the fittest box in Hawaii! Everyone was such an inspirition. I'll miss you all. Much love,

    Ant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elyse! I absolutely LOVE how you post daily recipes, food recommendations, or paleo friendly places to eat out!! So helpful!

    ReplyDelete