Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Athlete Profile: Rachel "Lai Lai" Lai

"Winniers never quit and quitters never win."
-Vince Lombardi

 Left: Rachel and Coach Elyse at Makapu'u.  Picture taken in June 2009, before Paleo and before CrossFit!
Right: Rachel doing a WOD in April 2011 after CrossFitting for about 3 months!

"I am so so so proud of my best friend, Rachel, for all that she has accomplished in the last 3 months as well as in life.  Within only a short period of time, she has bettered her fitness level and dramatically changed her body composition through sweat and better nutrition.  

Moreover, she is such a positive influence on those around her and her energy is always felt when she cheers you on during WODs.  I have already received numerous emails from athletes thanking Rachel for her encouragement during their workouts.  The best part is that she doesn't cheer you on just because... but because she really cares and wants to see you do well.  Even when she didn't know a thing about CrossFit at the 2008 NorCal Regionals, she still found a way to motivate me with our 'bet'.  I am so happy she enjoys CrossFit and enjoys being at the box.  I could not ask for a better member and more importantly, friend."  -Coach Elyse


ATHLETE PROFILE: Rachel "Lai Lai" Lai

Hometown:  Born in Hong Kong :)
Age: 28
When did you first start CrossFitting? When Crossfit 808 opened on March 1, 2011.
Favorite WOD: "2011 CF Games Open WOD 11.6" AMRAP in 7 minutes, of: Thrusters (95/65lb) and Chest-To-Bar, with the 3-6-9... rep scheme and "Fran"
Least Favorite WOD: "2011 Open WOD 11.1" AMRAP in 10 minutes, of: 30 Double-Under  and 15 Power Snatch (75/55lb)
Do you Paleo? Yes! I love it and I NEED IT!
Favorite quote: "Winniers never quit and quitters never win." -Vince Lombardi

Tell us about you sports & fitness background:
Played basketball and utlimate frisbee in high school.  More recently, before CrossFitting, I went to a global gym and jogged around kapiolani park periodically.  I also did Insanity for about 40 days.

How did you first get exposed to CrossFit? Take us back to your first WOD... what was it, and how did it feel?
I was introduced to CrossFit by our beloved coach, Elyse, back in 2008, when I accompanied her to the 2008 NorCal Regional in Aromas, California. With very little knowledge of CrossFit, I found myself surrounded by all these amazing and strong athletes.  I didn't know the rules or any of the terms they were saying, but I was very impressed and overwhelmed with all the athletes' performances. I had also made a bet with Elyse (more like a form of encouragement) before we went to Califonia.  The bet was I would quit smoking if she placed in the top 5 at Regionals, since the top 5 athletes would advance to the CrossFit Games. After watching her first day's performance, I knew she would kick butt on the final day, so I smoked my last cigarette and handed her all my cases of cigarettes before we headed to the competition that morning. She placed 4th and haven't smoked since.

My very first WOD was 2 years ago at another CrossFit box. I was very intimidated back then and only did it a couple of times and stopped.

My first WOD at CrossFit 808 was in late February with Lori and Elyse's Mom (Aunty Verna), before the box officially opened.  I remember I used the 15 lbs bar loaded with 2 wooden plates for some lifting, did some KB Swings and walking lunges.  I couldn't walk for the next 2 days!  I then told myself, I had already waited (wasted) 2 years and it was time to get serious and CrossFit for real this time. I have been hooked ever since.

What sort of changes have you seen in your body, health and fitness since starting CrossFit (before/after)?
I first had eczema when I was a little kid. It went away and then came back when I was in college. I went to many different doctors, but they all said there was no cure and to take medicine.  The eczema got so bad that I had to get steroid injections into the affected areas.  Coach Elyse challenged me and my 4 other friends to go on the Paleo Diet last year, and I did it for 30-days.  My ecezema disappeared magically! But, when Thanksgiving and Christmas came around and I started to eat bad again, the eczema also came back.  Now, I am doing Paleo religiously.

"Crossfit has changed my life!" (sounds so dramatic, yeh?) but I am stronger, much fitter and of course... "SEXIER" (*evil laugh and evil eyes*)!  But really, I would never have thought I could do a handstand or a PULL-UP, let alone a chest to bar Pull-up.

What sort of changes in your life have you experienced out of taking on something like CrossFit that were totally unexpected?
I have become a happier person, since I've been CrossFitting. =)  I also have more confidence and I can tell myself, family, and friends without a doubt that I am CROSSFIT STRONG (hehe).

Please share with us any favorite CrossFit / CF808 moments:
When I was able to do my very first pull up WITHOUT a band, during FRAN! (...it was fun seeing how suprised Coach Elyse and Coach Josh were.)

When I climbed the rope all the way up.

When I watch fellow CrossFit 808 athletes push through every WOD. Their motivation, determination, encouragement and strong minds help inspire me everyday. 

When I see our Crossfit 808 kids WOD!!!!

Any advice for people just getting started?
Don't be intimidated. Give your very best, your 110% for each WOD. Also, don't CHEAT reps or movements and finish the WOD!  And, the moment you think you cannot continue and when you want to stop, pick that damn bar up and keep pushing.  

What are your hobbies, interests and/or talents outside of CrossFit?
I like relaxing on the beach. :) I also love spending quality time with my good friends. I like catching up with my favorite TV shows, like Glee and Grey's Anatomy.  I also like to play video games!

And since I have the opportunity, I'd like to say THANK YOU to my very good friend, Coach Elyse, for our friendship, and for being an awesome coach and role model. Thank you for bringing CrossFit into my life... if not, I would still be the chubby Lai Lai with a damn cigarette between my fingers every 30 minutes!

And thank you to the other 3 coaches... Coach Josh, Coach Cheyne and Coach John. You guys are HOT and awesome!!

And big thanks and hugs for all my fellow Crossfit 808-ers! You guys rock, and let's WOD!

Warm-up WOD:
2 rounds, NOT for time:
Accumulate 60 seconds of L-sit holds on rings
10 Wall Squats
10 Back Extensions
5 Inch Worms


Today's WOD:
For time:
75 Squats
50 Ab-mat Situps
25 Ring Dips
50 Squats
35 Ab-mat Situps
20 Ring Dips
25 Squats
20 Ab-mat Situps
15 Ring Dips

Yesterday's WOD Board:

No comments:

Post a Comment