Monday, May 9, 2011

Athlete Profile: Mark Sakamoto

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching." 
-John Wooden


"Mark came to us after hearing about CrossFit from his friends and co-workers.  He had a strong fitness background having competed in some previous body-building competitions; however, he had not worked out in about a year when he walked through our doors.  Although, Mark, is very kind and quiet when is at class, he unleashes his fire when he hits a WOD.  His positive attitude, determination, and discipline during workouts as well as the Paleo Challenge are evident in his results.  He not only turned his body into a fat-shedding machine, he also felt better and had more energy!  For someone who travels a lot for work, Mark, does not use that as an excuse for bad nutrition and no exercise.  I can't wait to see the continuing improvements in Mark's capacity as a CrossFitter in the months to come.  I speak for everyone when I say he is a great addition to our box."  -Coach Elyse

ATHLETE PROFILE: Mark Sakamoto
Hometown:  Makakilo
Age:  40
When did you first start CrossFitting?  03/22/2011
Favorite WOD:  Any Strength 
Least Favorite WOD:  Anything with running, but I need to run more and get better at it.
Do you Paleo?  Yes. Just finished the 30 day Paleo Challenge and will continue with it.
Favorite quote(s):  
"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching." -John Wooden    
"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

Tell us about your sports & fitness background:
From 10 yrs old through college, I swam competitively.  Played water polo in high school. After college, I went to the gym and lifted weights to "stay in shape." I also did some bodybuilding.

How did you first get exposed to CrossFit?  
I thank Katrina and Mike for introducing me to CrossFit.  They answered my many questions, explaining some movements and WODs they had done in the past, encouraging me to try it.  I had not worked out for over a year, getting out of shape and was looking for something different to do.

Take us back to your first WOD... what was it, and how did it feel?  
My first WOD was...For Time:  70 Burpees, 60 sit-ups, 50 KB Swings, 40 pull ups, 30 HSPU.  Of course the WOD was scaled down for me, using much lighter KB and box pushups.  45, 45, 35, 25, 20.  I remember, after the Burpees, I was exhausted, thinking how much more there was left and how the hell am I going to finish.  Upon completing the WOD, I couldn't even move, it felt like I was going to pass out.  It was the hardest thing/workout I'd ever done.

What sort of changes have you seen in your body, health and fitness since starting CrossFit (before/after)?  
Since starting CrossFit and the doing the Paleo challenge, I have a lot more energy, can focus more through out the day, have lost weight/body fat and can sleep better.  I'm more aware of the food I eat because of the Paleo challenge and will have to buy new pants soon, as they can fall off without a belt.

What sort of changes in your life have you experienced out of taking on something like CrossFit that were totally unexpected?  
I cannot believe how fast my body can change in a month doing CrossFit and the Paleo challenge.  It completely blows my mind how they work together.

Please share with us any favorite CrossFit / CrossFit 808 moments:  
Doing a travel WOD's in my hotel room, feeling the whole floor shake during burpees.  I could only imagine what the downstairs person was saying.

Any advice for people just getting started?  
I just started CrossFit too and still struggle a lot during the WOD's.  Don't give up, keep coming and do the Paleo challenge.

What are your hobbies, interests and/or talents outside of CrossFit?  
I enjoy playing games with my daughter, some cycling, photography, reading, USPSA Practical Shooting and video games.



 Above:  Mark, before the 30-Day Paleo Challenge!

 Above: Mark, after the 30-Day Paleo Challenge!



Today's WOD:
21-15-9 rep rounds for time:
Box Jump (24")
Power Snatch (75/55 lbs.)
Chest to Bar Pull-ups

Saturday's WOD Board:

No comments:

Post a Comment